Music of the Americas announces its Spring 2015 line-up. Stay up to date with all of our events and follow us on Twitter @MusicAmericas!
- Colombian vocalist Lucía Pulido performs "Canciones de Despecho" (Songs of Broken Love) at Americas Society on February 12, based on a set of boleros and waltzes. With a backline including Sergio Reyes (violin, melodica), Sebastian Cruz (guitar), and Pedro Giraudo (bass).
Lucía Pulido performs Etelvina Maldonado's Por qué me pegas at Lincoln Center.
- Young Cuban pianist Willanny Darias performs a recital on February 24 at Americas Society as part of Cuban Culture Festival New York, presented by the American Friends of the Ludwig Foundation of Cuba.
Willanny Darias performs Scriabin's Sonata no. 3 op 23, Manhattan School of Music, 2014.
- Bolivian/UK ensemble Arakaendar Orchestra and Choir presents a program entitled "Baroque Music from Jesuit Missions in Bolivia" on March 5 at Hispanic Society of America.
Father Piotr Nawrot speaks about the Bolivian Baroque project.
- New music band International Contemporary Ensemble premieres a new work by Argentine composer Mario Davidovsky and celebrates his chamber music on March 13.
ICE performs Davidovsky's Festino with Dan Lippel, guitar soloist.
- Canadian clarinet Pascal Archer returns to Americas Society on March 30 in a program centered around Argentine-U.S. composer Osvaldo Golijov's Dream and Prayers of Isaac the Blind. With Adaskin String Trio and violinist Annie Trépanier.
Pascal Archer with Adaskin String Trio perform Crusell Quartet, op. 2, no. 1
- The teen ensemble Face the Music, led by Jennifer Undercofler, performs a program of new music from Puerto Rico on April 24.
Quartet This Side Up members perform Francis Schwartz's Cannibal Caliban with violist Kyle Blessing at the Queens Museum (2014).
- Meridionalis performs the music of Francisco López Capillas at Hispanic Society of America on April 27.
Meridionalis performs Judas mercator pessimus by José Maurício Nunes Garcia (2012).
- Music of the Americas presents the New York debut of Argentine hotshot folk duo Luna Monti and Juan Quintero on May 5 featuring Puerto Rican saxophonist Miguel Zenón. The duo recently released their fifth duo album, Después de usted, and frequently perform throughout Latin America.
- Ithaca College professors Wendy Mehne and Pablo Cohen perform a diverse program for flute and guitar at Americas Society on May 11. This event is part of Chamber Music America's National Chamber Music Month.
Wendy Mehne performs Davidovsky's Synchronism for flute and tape, April 2014.
- Music of the Americas and the Centro de Experimentación del Teatro Colón team up to present the U.S. premiere of Hercules in Mato Grosso at the experimental theater Dixon Place on May 20.
Preview of Hércules en el Matto Grosso courtesy CETC (2014).
- We collaborate again with Make Music New York, the yearly outdoor music extravaganza, on June 21 with a site-specific commission by Brazilian composer Valéria Bonafé in Central Park.
- On June 30, Peruvian guitarist Jorge Caballero performs Mussorgsky's complete Pictures at an Exhibition, among other Russian orchestral masterworks, as part of the New York Guitar Seminar at Mannes.
Jorge Caballero performs Albeniz's Evocación from Iberia at the Met Museum (2013).