5:00 to 5:40 p.m. ET
Women’s Role in Venezuelan Democracy and the Road to an Inclusive Solution
Watch an expert panel discussion on the role of women in the fight for a democratic resolution in Venezuela.
Women have been disproportionately affected by the Venezuelan crisis. Now, they are increasingly assuming a greater role in shaping the terms of their country's democratic transition and laying the foundation for sustainable peace.
As part of these efforts, a group of female Venezuelan leaders have spearheaded Women for Democracy in Venezuela, or Mujeres por la Democracia en Venezuela (MDV)—a new movement committed to inclusive change. Comprised of political leaders, negotiators, human rights defenders, lawyers, policy experts, and journalists from inside and outside of Venezuela, MDV works to empower women within the political process to ensure they are meaningfully included in high-level decision-making regarding the country's future.
In this Americas Society/Council of the Americas event, MDV co-founders will offer insights into how Venezuelan women are working to influence Venezuelan politics and drive forward democratic change.
- Cristina Burelli, Executive Director, V5Initiative; International Liaison, SOS Orinoco @cburelli
- Mariela Magallanes, Deputy, Venezuela’s 2015 National Assembly; one of two female delegates representing the National Unity Platform in negotiations in Mexico City @MariMagallanesC
- Dr. Marlene Spoerri, Director, Inclusive Diplomacy and Systems Change, Independent Diplomat @IDiplomat
- Isadora Zubillaga, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Venezuelan Interim Government; Co-Founder, Women for Democracy in Venezuela @DemocratasxVzla @isadorazubi
- Guillermo Zubillaga, Head of Venezuela Working Group, Americas Society/Council of the Americas @Guillermo_Z (moderator)
Register to attend in person at our New York City office (680 Park Avenue) by emailing Juan Serrano at email@example.com
Space is limited and priority will be given to AS/COA corporate and individual members.
Please note this event will be held in Spanish.