5–6 pm ET
(Image: Natalie Conn)
In the Studio: Nora Maité Nieves
Watch the video: Americas Society hosted the Puerto Rican artist on Instagram Live to discuss her practice.
Nora Maité Nieves in conversation with Natalia Viera Salgado, assistant curator of Visual Arts.
Join us live on Instagram from your cell phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice. Check out the series playlist.
About the artist:
Nora Maité Nieve’s paintings, drawings, and sculptures explore how we define space through domestic ownership. Her work is about space, place, time, and the human relationship to it. She makes references to ornamental details from architecture, especially to floors, wall textures, tiles, doors, and furniture.
Nieves (b. 1980 San Juan, Puerto Rico) lives and works in Brooklyn, New York. She received her MFA from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2010, and her BFA from La Escuela de Artes Plásticas, in San Juan, Puerto Rico in 2004. Recent solo exhibitions include Deep Blue Day, Pink Bright Night, Embajada Foyer, Brooklyn, NY, (MAY), 2021, Full Room in the Sun Room at Fresh Window Gallery in Brooklyn, NY, 2019, Paisaje Lunar at Flyweight Projects, Brooklyn, NY, 2019, and Tangible, Hidrante Gallery, San Juan, PR, 2018. Some of her recent group exhibitions include: Contact Light, Survey Survey, New York, NY, 2021, ENTREFORMAS, curated by Abdiel Segarra, Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR, 2021, NADA Miami, Embajada Gallery, New York, NY, 2020, Rubus Armeniacus (Himalayan Blackberry), curated by Jessica Kwok, Jessica’s Apartment Gallery, New York, NY, 2019, Blanco y Negro, Embajada Gallery, MECA Art Fair, San Juan, PR, 2019, Nada Tropical, curated by Ricardo Cabret & Maximilian Juliá, Miscelanea Gallery, Barcelona, Spain, 2019, Small Objects, curated by Paz Monge, La Salita, New York, NY, 2019, Quid Bro Quo, curated by Alexander Deschamps, Fresh Window Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, 2019, Repatriation, curated by Bianca Ortiz, Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, San Juan, PR, 2019, EDDYS Room, curated by Austin Eddy, Galleri Thomassen, Gothenburg, Sweden, 2018.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Check out the current exhibition Terence Gower: The Good Neighbour.
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Joaquín Orellana: The Spine of Music.
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Reflections on Joaquín Orellana's Marimba Imaginaria
- In Discussion: Presenting Biennial FEMSA XIV
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS