5–6 pm ET
Marc Mayer. (Courtesy of Nini Ordoubadi)
In the Studio: The Good Neighbour – Marc Mayer and Terence Gower
Watch the video: Writer and curator Marc Mayer in conversation with The Good Neighbour artist Terence Gower.
Terence Gower in conversation with writer and curator Marc Mayer.
Join us live on Instagram from your phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice. Check out the series playlist.
About the writer and curator:
A writer, curator, and lecturer based in the Catskills region of New York, Marc Mayer is a specialist in contemporary international art. Former director and CEO of the National Gallery of Canada from 2009 to 2019, he has held senior positions in five art museum in Canada and the United States: Albright-Knox Art Gallery (Buffalo), Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery (Toronto), Brooklyn Museum, and the Musée d’Art Contemporain de Montréal. Among the over 30 museum exhibitions he has organized are Sophie Ristelhueber for both the Albright-Knox and the Power Plant; Judy Chicago’s The Dinner Party and the Jean-Michel Basquiat retrospective, both for the Brooklyn Museum; and the Thomas Nozkowski and Jack Bush retrospectives, both for the National Gallery of Canada. Recent publications include Art in Canada, 2017, National Gallery of Canada; Shelagh Keeley: Traces of Labour, 2021, the Power Plant and MOCA Toronto; and Thomas Nozkowski: The Last Paintings, 2021, Pace Gallery, New York.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Check out the current exhibition Terence Gower: The Good Neighbour.
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Joaquín Orellana: The Spine of Music.
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Reflections on Joaquín Orellana's Marimba Imaginaria
- In Discussion: Presenting Biennial FEMSA XIV
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS