9:00 to 10:00 am ET
Regenerating the Hemispheric Trade Agenda through USMCA Accession
Top officials and U.S. Senators discuss how the United States can expand regional economic partnerships in a virtual event.
At the Los Angeles Summit of the Americas in June 2022, President Joe Biden announced the Americas Partnership for Economic Prosperity Initiative which, to date, remains under discussion. Meanwhile, momentum continues to build for a more robust U.S. trade and investment initiative that will meet growing regional economic challenges while shifting the political narrative. The Americas Act, co-sponsored by Senators Michael Bennet (D-CO) and Bill Cassidy (R-LA), is an effort to promote shifting supply chains, strengthen broad based growth, and deepen economic and financial integration by creating a pathway for hemispheric nations to accede to USMCA. Panelists at this virtual event will discuss the future of the of the hemispheric agenda.
Concurrently, Council of the Americas has produced a commissioned report on the legalities and possibilities of USMCA accession, it can be found here.
The program will be recorded and posted on our website afterward for on-demand viewing.
- Bill Cassidy, U.S. Senator (R-LA)
- Michael Bennet, U.S. Senator (D-CO)
- Manuel Tovar, Minister of Foreign Trade, Costa Rica
- Jennifer Prescott, Director, International Trade & Tax, LatAm Public Policy, AWS
- Juan Carlos Baker, Principal Chief Executive Officer, Ansley
- Eric Farnsworth, Vice President, Americas Society/Council of the Americas (moderator)