5–6 pm ET
(Image: David Miles)
In the Studio: Claudia Fontes
Watch the video: Americas Society hosted the Argentine artist on Instagram Live on February 10 to discuss her practice.
Claudia Fontes in conversation with Aimé Iglesias Lukin, director and chief curator of Visual Arts.
Join us live on Instagram from your cell phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday this month, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice. Check out the series playlist.
About the artist
Claudia Fontes is an Argentine artist based in England. She studied arts at the National School of Fine Arts Prilidiano Pueyrredón in Buenos Aires and Art History at Buenos Aires University. She was awarded grants to develop her practice at Taller de Barracas in Buenos Aires and to be a resident artist at the Rijksakademie van Beeldende Kunsten in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, where she worked under the advice of Richard Deacon, Michelangelo Pistoletto, and Joan Jonas, amongst others. Her works can be found in the collections of the Israel Museum, Jerusalem, MALBA (Museum for Latin American Art of Buenos Aires), MAMBA (Museum of Modern Art of Buenos Aires), and MACRO (Museum of Contemporary Art Rosario). Her work is also part of private collections in Latin America, the United States, Europe, and Australia. She has been showing her work since 1992, with solo exhibitions at I.C.I. (Instituto de Cooperación Iberoamericana), Buenos Aires, Modern Art Museum (MAMBA), Ignacio Liprandi Arte Contemporáneo, among others. One of the winners of the Parque de la Memoria Award in 1999, her piece Reconstruction of the Portrait of Pablo Miguez, is one of the most iconic artworks addressing the last dictatorship’s period in Argentina’s history.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Joaquín Orellana: The Spine of Music.
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS
- Ulises Carrión – Art, Mail, Books, and So…
- Book Launch: Alejandra Seeber – Picture This Featuring the Artist in Conversation with Guillermo Kuitca