5–6 pm ET
(Image: Photo by Emily Lang)
In the Studio: The Spine of Music – María Adela Díaz
Watch the video: Americas Society hosted the Guatemalan artist on Instagram Live on February 11 to discuss her practice.
María Adela Díaz in conversation with Natalia Viera Salgado, assistant curator of Visual Arts.
Join us live on Instagram from your phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of conversations with the contemporary artists of Joaquín Orellana: The Spine of Music to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday this month, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice.
About the artist
For nearly two decades, Guatemalan native and international performance artist Maria Adela Diaz has used her body and various media to explore the complex essence and sublimity of a woman’s nature. Diaz’s work raises objections to patriarchal values, political deception and discriminatory ideologies, employing video performance and installation Diaz’s seduces and provokes the observer within unexpected, everyday contexts. The artist has been featured in numerous solo and group exhibitions in venues around the world, including the Centre Pompidou in Paris, Ex Teresa Arte Actual in Mexico City, and Museo de Arte Contemporáneo in San Jose, Costa Rica, Italy, Croatia among others. Diaz currently resides in Los Angeles, where she works as an Art director.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Joaquín Orellana: The Spine of Music.
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS
- Ulises Carrión – Art, Mail, Books, and So…
- Book Launch: Alejandra Seeber – Picture This Featuring the Artist in Conversation with Guillermo Kuitca