5–6 pm ET
(Image: courtesy of the artist.)
In the Studio: José Castrellón
Americas Society hosted the Panamanian artist on Instagram Live to discuss his practice.
José Castrellón in conversation with Natalia Viera Salgado, assistant curator of Visual Arts.
Join us live on Instagram from your cell phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice. Check out the series playlist.
About the artist:
José Castrellón (Panama, 1980) works with photography, video, found material and language, moving between the conceptual and documentary realms. Through research, he takes history as a point of departure to inquire into and express anthropological and sociological concerns. He identifies with cultural changes and the impact they have on different places, the cultural modification of people and society, as well as the physical transformation of landscapes, brought about by commercialism, colonialism, geopolitical conflict and interventions. He has participated in many group exhibitions such as Pacific Standard Time LA/LA, the 38th Biennial of Ireland "EVA International," the Mercosur Biennial and the Central American Biennial. His work has been shown in institutions like the Tate Modern, the Museum of Modern Art of Medellin (MAMM), the Museum of Art and Design (MAD) in New York, the Museo del Barrio in New York and the Museum of Contemporary Art in Rome (MACRO).
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Joaquín Orellana: The Spine of Music.
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS
- Ulises Carrión – Art, Mail, Books, and So…
- Book Launch: Alejandra Seeber – Picture This Featuring the Artist in Conversation with Guillermo Kuitca