The Council of the Americas is dedicated to open markets, democracy, and economic development throughout the hemisphere. We believe free and fair trade is an essential tool in providing continued economic growth and development in Latin America, Caribbean, and the United States.
The U.S.-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement (TPA) is a critical component in further establishing a secure and prosperous economic climate in Colombia. With passage of the U.S-Colombia TPA, this strategic partnership, with established economic and security ties, will be bolstered by the economic benefits provided to both countries. The Council of the Americas urges the U.S. Congress to quickly pass the trade agreement.
In Our Words: Publications by Council of the Americas Experts
- "Helping a Friend," Susan Segal, President and CEO
- "Why Colombia Deserves U.S. Help," Susan Segal and Nancy Birdsall, Christian Science Monitor
- "A New Trade Policy for the Americas," Eric Farnsworth, Vice President, Council of the Americas, Poder
- "Bullying Latin America," Eric Farnsworth and Gary Hufbauer, Baltimore Sun
- Democrats for Regional Security and Open Markets (PDF)
- COA Letter to Congress (PDF)
- Enclosure, Colombia Fact Sheet (PDF)
- COA Press Release
- Testimony: U.S-Colombia Relations, Eric Farnsworth
- Testimony: U.S. Latin America energy security, Eric Farnsworth
- Testimony: The U.S.-Colombia Trade Promotion Agreement, International Trade Commission, Report on Colombia
- "The for the Colombian Trade Pact," New York Times
- "The Colombia Trade Stakes," U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, Wall Street Journal
- "Recognize Merits of Trade Agreement," U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates, Miami Herald
- Susan Schwab, U.S. Trade Representative, discusses the U.S.-Colombia trade pact with CNN's Lou Dobbs.
- "Our Free-Trade Consensus" by Kenneth Duberstein and Thomas F. McLarty III, Wall Street Journal
- "What Would Jack Ryan Do?" Roy Blunt (R-MO), Washington Times
- "Colombia Seeks Commerce, Investment," Francisco Santos Calderon, Vice President of Colombia, Miami Herald
- "Congress Should OK Trade Deal," General Barry R. McCaffrey, Miami Herald
- "U.S. Must Support Colombia," Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Colombia, Latin Business Chronicle
Remarks and Resources from the Colombian Government
- AS/COA Interview with Francisco Santos Calderon, Vice President of Colombia
- "Colombia, A Progress Report," Embassy of Colombia, Washington, D.C.
- "Colombia: An Update on Actions to Strengthen the Rights and Protections for Trade Unions," Embassy of Colombia, Washington, D.C.
- Presentation (PDF) by Minister Luis Guillermo Plata
- President George W. Bush: Speeches on U.S.-Colombia Free Trade
- "The U.S.-Colombia FTA: A Capitol Hill Conversation," (PDF) Ambassador Susan Schwab, U.S. Trade Representative, February 27, 2008
- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice:
- Joint Press Conference with President of Colombia Alvaro Uribe, January 25, 2008
- Video: Remarks in Medellin, Colombia, January 24, 2008
- Remarks at the Bogota Chamber of Commerce, Secretary of State Carlos M. Gutierrez, October 12, 2007
- "Latin America: Helping Colombia is in our National Interest," John D. Negroponte, Deputy Secretary of State, May 22, 2007
- "The Case for Colombia," Chris Padilla Video, Under Secretary, U.S. Department of Commerce International Trade Administration
Remarks from Leaders Across the Americas
- Commentary from leaders from across the Western Hemisphere regarding the U.S.-Colombia trade agreement.
- Department of Commerce, ITA, Free Trade Agreements
- Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, Colombia Free Trade Agreement