11:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Symposium - Alexander von Humboldt and the Order of Nature: Aspects of Culture and Landscape in the Americas
Scholars and contemporary artists will discuss Alexander von Humboldt and his influence on social order and the arts.
Admission is FREE and open to the public.
Registration is NOT required to view the webcast.
- Harper Montgomery, Distinguished Lecturer and Patricia Phelps de Cisneros Professor in Latin American Art, Hunter College: morning
- Gabriela Rangel, Director of Visual Arts and Chief Curator, Americas Society: afternoon
11:00am to 1:00pm - PANEL 1: Humboldt and Social Order in the Americas
- Introduction: Wenzel Bilger, Regional Program Director, Goethe- Institute, New York.
- Respondent: Mary Louise Pratt, Silver Professor and Professor of Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Literatures at New York University.
- Ottmar Ette, Chair of Romance Literature, University of Potsdam.
Title: Alexander von Humboldt as a World Citizen. Nomadic Knowledge and the Global Landscapes of Theory
- Michael Zeuske, Professor of Caribbean and Latin American History, Universität zu Köln
Title: Humboldt and Slavery
- Laura Dassow Walls, William P. and Hazel B. White Professor of English, University of Notre Dame.
Title: The Manifold Nature of Humboldt's Pocket Cosmos.
- Mark Dion, Contemporary Artist.
Title: An Artist Responds to the Collecting Tradition of Naturalists in the Neotropics
1:00 pm to 2:30pm - BREAK
2:30pm to 5:30pm - PANEL 2: Humboldt's Influence on the Art of the Americas
- Video: The Wake, by Dana Levy
- Introduction: Georgia de Havenon, Exhibition Guest Curator
- Respondent: Katherine Manthorne, Professor of Art of the Unites States, Latin America and Their Cross-Currents, 1750-1950, The Graduate Center, City University of New York.
- Tim Barringer, Paul Mellon Professor of the History of Art, Yale University.
Title: Humboldt, the Panorama, and Landscape Painting
- Kevin J. Avery, Senior Research Scholar, The Metropolitan Museum of Art.
Title: The Art of the Order of Nature: Frederic Church and Humboldt's Earthly Model
- Pablo Diener, Professor in the History Department at the Universidad Federal de Mato Grosso, in Brazil
Title: The Creation of a Science Accessible through the Senses: Humboldt and the Travelers' Art
- Alicia Lubowski-Jahn: Exhibition Guest Curator
Title: Nature's Unity: Alexander von Humboldt's Picturesque Vision of Ecology
Learn more about this exhibition.
Event Information: Nuria Mendoza | email@example.com | 1-212-277-8367
Press Inquiries: Adriana La Rotta | firstname.lastname@example.org | 1-212-277-8384