5 to 6 pm ET
In the Studio: Joiri Minaya
Watch the video: Americas Society hosted the Dominican-American artist on Instagram live on September 9 to discuss her practice.
Joiri Minaya in conversation with Aimé Iglesias Lukin, director and chief curator of Visual Arts.
Join us live on Instagram from your cell phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday this month, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice.
About the artist:
Joiri Minaya (b. 1990) is a Dominican-American New York-based multi-disciplinary artist. She attended the Escuela Nacional de Artes Visuales (Dominican Republic), the Chavón School of Design, and Parsons the New School for Design. Minaya has exhibited across the Caribbean, the United States, and internationally. She has received grants from foundations like Artadia, Nancy Graves, Rema Hort Mann, and the Joan Mitchell Foundation. She been awarded in two Dominican biennials (XXV Concurso León Jimenes; XXVII National Biennial) and has participated in residencies at Skowhegan, Smack Mellon, Bronx Museum, Red Bull House of Art, LES Printshop, Socrates Sculpture Park, Art Omi and Vermont Studio Center. Through various visual disciplines, her work questions historic and contemporary representations of black and brown womanhood in relation to an imagined tropical nature, questioning ideas projected onto these identities and spaces from a feminist and decolonial position. She is interested in the body, landscape, discourse, framing, (in)visibility, opacity, and hybridity.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS
- Ulises Carrión – Art, Mail, Books, and So…
- Book Launch: Alejandra Seeber – Picture This Featuring the Artist in Conversation with Guillermo Kuitca
Image caption: Joiri Minaya. Photo by Joel Gaal, courtesy of Red Bull House of Art.