5 to 6 pm ET
In the Studio: Ernesto Solana
Watch the video: Americas Society hosted the Mexican artist on Instagram Live to discuss his photography, sculpture, and installation.
Ernesto Solana in conversation with Aimé Iglesias Lukin, Director and Chief Curator of Visual Arts.
Join us live on Instagram from your cell phone, or watch here or on YouTube, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every Wednesday and Friday this month, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice.
About the artist:
Ernesto Solana (b. Guadalajara, 1985) is an artist based in Mexico City. He works in different media like photography, sculpture, and installation. His artistic practice is parallel to his research and explorations around the suburban belts of different cities in the United States, Mexico, Northern Africa, and the Netherlands. In his works, Solana discusses the tensions between natural and artificial realms and the way in which urbanization and colonialism have clashed both categories. He leaps from prehistorical fossil deposits; to early notions of biologicalnomenclature and display; to the normalization of industrialized waste within marginalized urban landscapes. He recently published his photobook titled Systema Artificialis where he explores the consequences of the Anthropocene and the new forms of relationship between the notions of humanity and nature. Solana studied at ICP in New York and obtained his MFA in photography at the University of Hartford, in Hartford, Connecticut.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch recent events videos:
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS
- Ulises Carrión – Art, Mail, Books, and So…
- Book Launch: Alejandra Seeber – Picture This Featuring the Artist in Conversation with Guillermo Kuitca
Image caption: Ernesto Solana. Courtesy of the artist.