5 to 6 pm ET
(Image: courtesy of the artist)
In the Studio: Emily Shanahan
Watch the video: Americas Society hosted the Canadian artist on Instagram live on November 10 to discuss her practice.
Emily Shanahan in conversation with Aimé Iglesias Lukin, director and chief curator of Visual Arts, as part of Canada Culture Week.
Join us live on Instagram from your cell phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday this month, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice.
About the artist:
Emily Shanahan is a visual artist working primarily with video and collage. Her interdisciplinary practice addresses issues of gendered labour and technology with special attention to the behaviors, gestures, and societal norms that circulate across media. She received an MFA from the California Institute of the Arts and completed the Whitney Museum Independent Study Program. She was awarded a summer fellowship from the Terra Foundation for American Art in Giverny, France and is the recipient of a Canada Council for the Arts Research and Creation grant. Her first artist book, The Tick vs. the Hum, was published by Golden Spike Press and is held in the Whitney Museum Library collection. Her most recent artist book, Work Life Harmony, was published by Sming Sming Books and is held in the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art Library collection.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS
- Ulises Carrión – Art, Mail, Books, and So…
- Book Launch: Alejandra Seeber – Picture This Featuring the Artist in Conversation with Guillermo Kuitca
The Canada Culture Week is co-presented by Americas Society and the Consulate General of Canada in New York.
The MetLife Foundation Music of the Americas concert series is made possible by the generous support of Presenting Sponsor MetLife Foundation.
The Fall 2020 Music program is also supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council.
Additional support for the 2019 production of Kopernikus was provided by the Consulate General of Canada in New York, the Québec Government Office in New York, and The Amphion Foundation, Inc.