5 to 6 pm ET
In the Studio: Edra Soto
Watch the video: Americas Society hosted the Puerto Rican artist on Instagram live on October 7 to discuss her practice.
Edra Soto in conversation with Aimé Iglesias Lukin, director and chief curator of Visual Arts.
Join us live on Instagram from your cell phone, or watch on YouTube after, for a series of remote visits to artists' studios to bring Americas Society's Visual Arts public programs to your home. Every other Wednesday this month, contemporary artists will dialogue with our Visual Arts department about their work and practice.
About the artist:
Born in Puerto Rico, Edra Soto is an interdisciplinary artist, and co-director of the outdoor project space The Franklin. Recent venues presenting Soto’s work include Crystal Bridges' The Momentary, AR, Albright-Knox Northland, NY; Chicago Cultural Center, IL; Smart Museum, IL and Museum of Contemporary Photography, IL. Recently, Soto completed the public art commission titled Screenhouse for a two-year exhibition at Chicago’s Millennium Park. Soto has attended residency programs at Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture, Beta-Local, the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation Residency, Headlands Center for the Arts, Project Row Houses and Art Omi among others. Soto was awarded the Efroymson Contemporary Arts Fellowship, the Illinois Arts Council Agency Fellowship, and the inaugural Foundwork Artist Prize among others. Soto’s work has been included in three exhibitions supported by the MacArthur Foundation’s International Connections Fund in Chicago, Puerto Rico, Cuba and Brazil. Soto holds an MFA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and a bachelor’s degree from Escuela de Artes Plásticas y Diseño de Puerto Rico.
More digital content from Visual Arts at Americas Society:
- Read the exhibition catalogue for Feliciano Centurión: Abrigo.
- Watch the documentary Feliciano Centurión: Abrazo Íntimo al Natural, directed by Mon Ross (2016).
- Watch videos of recent events:
- Art at a Distance: Promoting Visual Arts during the Health Crisis
- Curator's Perspective – Jacopo Crivelli Visconti
- "I Am Reborn at Every Moment" – Contemporary Reflections on Feliciano Centurión and AIDS
- Ulises Carrión – Art, Mail, Books, and So…
- Book Launch: Alejandra Seeber – Picture This Featuring the Artist in Conversation with Guillermo Kuitca
Image caption: Edra Soto, image courtesy of Dan Sullivan.