Join us every evening this week at 7 pm ET, Monday through Friday.
Stephanie Griffin of Momenta Quartet. (Image via Americas Society video)
Music of the Americas: Momenta Festival June 21–25
Momenta Quartet is back with a week of imaginative string music.
To start the summer, the sixth iteration of the Momenta Festival will take place at Americas Society. Since 2015, the adventurous ensemble has presented four programs during the one-week festival, each curated by a different member of the ensemble, resulting in "intriguing programming" (The New York Times) acclaimed by critics and fans alike. After taking a hiatus in 2020, we are delighted to welcome them back on our virtual stage.
Please come back to this page to watch the events.
Monday, June 21, 7 p.m.
"Forward to the Past,” curated by Alex Shiozaki
- Pablo Furman (b. 1955): Sureña: Memorias Australes, for violin and electronics (2005)
- Ludwig van Beethoven (1770–1827): Grosse Fuge, Op. 133 (1826)
Tuesday, June 22, 7 p.m.
“Secret Desires,” curated by Stephanie Griffin
- Alvin Singleton (b. 1940): Secret Desire to be Black (1988) for string quartet
- Alba Potes (b. 1954): Apacible for solo viola (2004)
- Julián Carrillo (1875–1965): String Quartet no. 6 (1937)
Wednesday, June 23, 7 p.m.
A conversation with Momenta Quartet
Thursday, June 24, 7 p.m.
“Endings and Beginnings,” curated by Emilie-Anne Gendron
- Juan Gutiérrez de Padilla (ca. 1590–1664): Velum templi scissum est (ca. 1628), motet adapted for string quartet
- José Luis Greco (b. 1953): String Quartet No. 4 “The Intruder” (2020) (world premiere)
- Francisco López Capillas (ca. 1615–1673): Cui luna, sol et omnia (ca. 1650s), motet adapted for string quartet
- Alejandro García Caturla (1906–1940): Piezas para cuarteto de cuerdas (1926–1927)
- I. Preludio
- II. Gigue
- III. Pieza en Forma de Vals
- IV. Danza a la Cubana
Friday, June 25, 7 p.m.
“Snapshots,” curated by Michael Haas
- John Patitucci (b. 1959): Snapshots for string quartet (2002)
- Mario Lavista (b. 1943): cuaderno de viaje (1989/rev. 2002) for solo cello
- I. Come un canto in lontananza, flessible
- II. Volatil, sempre delicato e come da lontano
- Sergei Prokofiev (1891–1953): String Quartet No. 2 in F Major, Op. 92 “Kabardinian” (1941)
- I. Allegro sostenuto
- II. Adagio
- III. Allegro
The MetLife Foundation Music of the Americas concert series is made possible by the generous support of Presenting Sponsor MetLife Foundation. The Fall 2020 Music program is also supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council. Additional support for this concert comes from The Amphion Foundation, Inc., the Aaron Copland Fund for Music, and the Alice M. Ditson Fund.