Americas Society/Council of the Americas Energy Action Group (EAG) brings together the public and private sectors to develop strategic energy policies for the Americas. The EAG hosts forums in cities across the Americas and publishes working papers and recommendations on key energy and climate topics.
We are grateful to Chevron, Inter-American Development Bank, and others for supporting this initiative.
(Image: Government of Brazil)
Explore the Latest from the EAG
Articles, Op-eds, and Infographics
- Viewpoint: Mexico's Oil Auction Lives Up to the Hype, by Naki Mendoza (February 2, 2018)
- Chart: The Collapse of Venezuela's Oil Production, by Holly K. Sonneland (January 24, 2018)
- Update: Brazilian Pre-Salt Oil Field Auctions Raise the Bar Again, by Naki Mendoza (November 1, 2017)
- Update: Peru's Virtual Pipeline, by Naki Mendoza (October 25, 2017)
- Update: Brazil's Oil and Gas Auction Breaks Records, by Naki Mendoza (September 28, 2017)
- Mexico's Energy Reforms: Bearing Fruit at Last, Financial Times' beyondbrics, by Naki Mendoza (August 16, 2017)
- Weekly Chart: Latin America's Top Oil Producers, by Elizabeth Gonzalez (July 26, 2017)
- Viewpoint: Why Brazil's Upcoming Oil Bid Rounds Are a Game Changer, by Naki Mendoza (May 25, 2017)
- Energy Update: A Look at the Books of Latin America's Big State Oil Firms, by Naki Mendoza (March 22, 2017)
- Energy Is the Model for U.S.-Mexico Cooperation, RealClearEnergy, by Naki Mendoza (February 27, 2017)
- Viewpoint: Five Things to Know about Mexico's Deepwater Oil Auction, by Naki Mendoza (December 8, 2016)
November 07, 2017
Las oportunidades de inversión energética en Vaca Muerta ya son una realidad, dijo el gobernador en una conferencia de AS/COA en Nueva York....
August 24, 2017
Los ministros de energía, minería y modernización discutirón cómo integrar Argentina en el mercado global hoy....
June 07, 2017
Expertos del sector energético y financiero presentaron sobre las areas más competitivas de Colombia....
May 23, 2017
Panelistas hablaron de oportunidades de colaboración en el sector energético y la consolidación de la competitividad de la región....
March 27, 2017
IDB expert Ramón Espinasa discussed how to enable responsible investment across the hemisphere....
December 07, 2016
Watch energy experts engage about infrastructure projects and resources, as well as changing policy conditions for the sector....
February 19, 2015
Panelists discussed how oil prices affect regional growth projections, Petrocaribe, and Mexican energy reform....
October 22, 2013
As a North American “shale revolution” continues, Latin American countries seek to develop their own shale resources. A COA panel explored the topic....
Americas Quarterly blog posts
- Mexico and the United States: Crude Oil Swap? by Christian Gómez, Jr. (April 28, 2015)
- The Price of Oil’s Impact in Latin America and the Caribbean. by Christian Gómez, Jr. (March 9, 2015)
- Addressing Caribbean Energy Security. by Christian Gómez, Jr. (January 27, 2015)
- Shale Gas Development in Latin America. by Christian Gómez, Jr. (September 22, 2014).
- Mexico’s Energy Reform: Lessons from Colombia and Brazil. by Christian Gómez, Jr. and Sophia Sciabica (August 4, 2014).
- HidroAysèn and Chile’s Energy Agenda. by Christian Gómez, Jr. (June 13, 2014)
- Energy Situation of the Caribbean: New Opportunities and Green Energy Deployment, by Christian Gómez, Jr. (May 2015)
- China's Interest in Brazil's Oil, by Christian Gómez, Jr. (May 2014)
Meetings and Events
- Washington (March 27, 2017) Extractive Industries in the Americas – Opportunities and Risks. Watch a video of this event.
- New York (December 7, 2016) The Western Hemisphere's Energy Landscape in 2017 and Beyond. Watch a video of this event.
- Miami (October 19–20, 2015) Energy Conference – After the Fall: Energy Security, Sustainable Development and the Environment. Learn more about this event.
- Washington (October 15, 2015) Private Roundtable: A Conversation with Dr. Víctor Urrutia Guardia, Panama’s Secretary of Energy. Learn more about this event here.
- Houston (September 24, 2015) North America in Global Energy Markets: Infrastructure and Integration. Learn more about this event.
- Houston (September 23, 2015) Private Breakfast on Mexico’s Round One Bidding with Lourdes Melgar, Undersecretary of Hydrocarbons of Mexico. Click to see the presentation.
- Miami (July 28, 2015) Private Breakfast with Phillip Paulwell, Minister of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining of Jamaica. Learn more about this event.
- Miami (July 15, 2015) Energy Conference – Natural Gas in Central America and the Caribbean. Watch a video of this event, and read a program summary.
- Washington (May 19, 2015) Private Roundtable: A Conversation with Ali Moshiri, Chevron President for Africa and Latin America.
- New York (May 4, 2015) Mexico: Private Equity Energy Investment. Watch a video of the event.
- Washington (April 27, 2015) Private Roundtable on Renewable Energy and Human Capital in Mexico with Leonardo Beltrán, Deputy Secretary for Energy Planning and Transition, Mexican Secretariat of Energy.
- Washington (March 31, 2015) Venezuela: Political, Economic, and Energy Update. Watch a video of the event.
- Washington (March 18, 2015) Paper Launch: Energy and the Pacific Alliance. Watch a video of the event, or read a program summary.
- Washington (February 19, 2015) The Price of Oil’s Impact on Latin America and the Caribbean. Watch a video of this event, and read a program summary.
- Washington (January 26, 2015) Caribbean Energy Security Summit, an initiative of the Office of the Vice-President. Read a program summary, and read the Caribbean Energy Security Summit Joint Statement here.
- Washington (December 17, 2014) Long Term Oil Dynamics: The Price of Crude Oil, with Ramón Espinasa, Senior Oil and Gas Specialist, Inter-American Development Bank. Learn more about this event.
- Bogota (December 9, 2014) Energy and the Pacific Alliance Roundtable.
- New York (December 1, 2014) Energy Reform in Mexico: Challenges and Opportunities for Mexico’s New Energy Landscape. Watch a video of this event.
- Washington (November 13, 2014) Dinner Discussion with Dr. Lourdes Melgar, Undersecretary for Hydrocarbons, Mexican Secretariat of Energy.
- Santiago (October 20, 2014) Consulta Previa and Renewable Energy Production: Ensuring Community Participation and a Clear Framework for Investment.
- Washington (September 30, 2014) Private Luncheon on Venezuela’s Energy Sector with Dr. Thomas O’Donnell, professor, Freie Universität.
- Washington (September 10, 2014) Representative Michael McCaul on North America Energy Integration and Mexican Energy Reform. Learn more about this event.
- Washington (July 30, 2014) North American Energy Integration: Mexico and Canada. Learn more about the event.
- Washington (May 19, 2014) Asian Energy Investment in the Americas. Watch a video of the event, and read the program summary.
- Mexico City (March 11, 2014) Mexico: Opportunities for Natural Gas and Renewables.
- Calgary (December 3, 2013) North American Energy Integration: The Canadian Perspective.
- Washington (October 22, 2013) Shale Gas Development in Latin America. See a video of the event here and read a program summary here.
- Washington (September 5, 2013) Brazil’s Energy Agenda – Launch of Energy Action Group Working Paper. See a video of the event here and read a program summary here.
- Washington (July 30, 2013) Financing Renewable Energy in Latin America. Read a program summary here.