How can we better protect community and investor rights over natural resource extraction in the hemisphere? Join us for the launch of the Americas Quarterly Spring issue on consulta previa and natural resource extraction.
The launch will feature a discussion among policy experts, community and business leaders on the growing trend in the region toward the adoption and implementation of International Labour Organization Convention 169 guaranteeing indigenous and ethnic communities the right to be consulted on matters affecting their culture and heritage. All too often, the imperfect development of laws and weak state institutions intended to regulate the right of consulta previa have led to conflict. The panel will discuss regulations, processes and practice in Peru, Colombia, Chile, and Guatemala.
- Francisco Borin Graziano, Corporate Affairs Director for Construções e Comércio Camargo Corrêa S.A.
- Alberto Chumil Julajuj, Indigenous Ancestral Mayan Authority Sololá (Guatemala)
- Ivan Lanegra, former Vice Minister of Intercultural Affairs, Peru; Professor of political science, Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú and Universidad del Pacífico
- Robert C. Thompson, author of “Reducing the Financial Risk of Social Conflict” in the Spring 2014 Americas Quarterly; human rights author/lawyer; former Associate General Counsel, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- Andrée Viana Garcés, former Director of Consulta Previa, Ministry of the Interior, Colombia; Professor, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana; consultant, Instituto de Estudios Sociales y Culturales (PENSAR)
- Christopher Sabatini, Senior Director of Policy, Americas Society/Council of the Americas and Editor-in-Chief, Americas Quarterly (Moderator)
- Francisco Veloso, Vice President of Corporate Affairs and Sustainability, Antofagasta Minerals
*Presentation will be in English and Spanish. Simultaneous translation will be provided.
This event is free of charge. Prior registration is required.
Copies of the AQ Spring 2014 issue, "Consulta Previa and Investment," will be available.
Event Information: Mari Hayman | email@example.com | 1-212-277-8390
Press: Adriana La Rotta | firstname.lastname@example.org | 1-212-277-8384
Cancellation: Contact Juan Serrano-Badrena at email@example.com, before 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 15, 2014