How socially inclusive is Latin America and what can be done to improve opportunities for marginalized communities? Kevin Casas-Zamora from the Organization of American States and Brookings Institution will give keynote remarks and Americas Quarterly editors Christopher Sabatini and Alana Tummino, along with Judith Morrison from the Inter-American Development Bank and Elizabeth Zechmeister from the Latin American Public Opinion Project, will present and discuss the 2014 results for the Social Inclusion Index.
Now in its third year, the index measures access to public and private goods by race/ethnicity and by gender, as well as human, political, civil, women’s, and LGBT rights. In total, it looks at 21 variables and ranks countries in the region. This year, AQ added Argentina for a total of 17 countries, and added two variables—access to justice and disability rights. Uruguay came in first, though political, social, institutional, and economic challenges remain in all countries. Come to the event and find out how other countries rank and what they can do to increase social inclusion.
- Kevin Casas-Zamora, Secretary for Political Affairs, Organization of American States and non-resident Senior Fellow, Latin America Initiative, Brookings Institution
- Christopher Sabatini, Editor-In-Chief, Americas Quarterly and Senior Director of Policy, Americas Society/Council of the Americas
- Alana Tummino, Senior Editor, Americas Quarterly and Director of Policy, Americas Society/Council of the Americas
- Judith Morrison, Senior Advisor for the Gender and Diversity Division, Inter-American Development Bank
- Elizabeth Zechmeister, Associate Professor of Political Science and Co-Director of the Latin American Public Opinion Project (LAPOP), Vanderbilt University
This event is free of charge. Prior registration is required.
Event Information: Beckie Bintrim | email@example.com | 212-277-8372
Press: Adriana La Rotta | firstname.lastname@example.org | 212-277-8384
Cancellation: Juan Serrano-Badrena at email@example.com, before 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday, July 29, 2014
July 30, 2014
Researchers drilled down on the 2014 Social Inclusion Index data during Americas Quarterly's summer issue launch...
July 29, 2014
AS/COA President and CEO Susan Segal and Senior Policy Director Christopher Sabatini commented on what makes this year's index unique....
July 29, 2014
The new Index gives insight into the factors causing the surge of emigrants from Central America....
January 13, 2014
Do you read Americas Quarterly? Get to know the Americas Society/Council of the Americas policy publication....
July 23, 2013
Americas Quarterly's second Social Inclusion Index explains social inclusion in the Americas today....