Data Governance Working Group
Data Governance Working Group
AS/COA created the Data Governance Working Group (DGWG) in 2020 under the umbrella of its Tech Series. The working group convenes relevant stakeholders from throughout the region, allowing data protection authorities and private companies to engage in dialogue. AS/COA’s goal is to create a permanent forum to guide policymakers, regulators, and other advocates focused on this topic as they handle challenges in a post-pandemic world.
- Trade and data transfer: regulations across Latin America
- The role of data in economic recovery
- The responsible application and use of data-driven solutions: tracing apps, safe online payments and food deliveries, symptom maps, and communication tools
- The need for mutual collaboration and joint decisions between data protection authorities and private sector
- The role of regulators
- The need for flexible regulation in order to be effective and efficient during emergency situations
- Generating the right incentives for a data-driven economy and society while continuing to protect fundamental rights
- Francisco Javier Acuña Llamas, President of Mexico’s National Institute for Transparency, Access to Information and Personal Data Protection
- Bojana Bellamy, President of Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP's Centre for Information Policy Leadership
- Eduardo Bertoni, Director, National Agency for Access to Public Information
- Caroline Buckee, Professor, Harvard School of Public Health, COVID-19 Mobility Network
- Danilo Doneda, Lawyer and Law Professor, Specialist in Privacy and Data Protection, Brazil
- Flavia Mitri, Privacy & Cybersecurity Legal Director, Latin America, Uber
- Coronel Waldemar Gonçalves Ortunho Junior, Director-President of Brazil’s Data Privacy Authority
- Miriam Wugmeister, Partner, Morrison & Foerster LLP
The DGWG has formed a Steering Committee made up of AS/COA corporate members, who provide leadership and guidance for the working group activities.
Steering Committee members
- Flavia Mitri, Privacy Legal Director, Uber
- Pablo Segura, Data Privacy Director, Mercadolibre.com
- Irene Velandia, Public Policy and Government Relations Manager, Head of Andean Region, Google
Panelists came together to speak about data privacy at a Data Governance Working Group event.
AS/COA, in partnership with Meta, gathered senior policy makers and business leaders to discuss international data transfer regulation in the country.
In this AS/COA Data Governance Working Group meeting, the OAS’s Marina Salazar Albornoz shared the institution’s latest data-protection framework with privacy experts.
AS/COA Data Governance Working Group held an off-the-record and members-only roundtable with the director-president of Brazil’s Data Protection Authority.
Data privacy experts discussed how Mexican authorities worked to protect people’s information amid a global pandemic and data's role in the digital economy.