Americas Quarterly (AQ), an award-winning publication on Latin American politics, economics, and culture, is looking for a versatile podcast producer and editor to work from our office in New York. The AQ Podcast has grown since its 2020 launch to become a premier English-language interview program with Latin America’s top political analysts and other thought leaders. We need someone who knows and understands Latin America well, and can work closely with host and editor-in-chief Brian Winter to select topics and guests, perform research and write scripts, and help curate and edit the content to achieve a polished and professional final product. This person will also work on AQ’s other platforms, editing and composing written copy for our website and print edition. Overall, it’s a rewarding and fun job, a great opportunity for an early-career journalist who is looking to grow professionally and embrace diverse responsibilities.
AQ is an editorially independent publication of Americas Society/Council of the Americas (AS/COA), sister not-for-profit organizations providing the most trusted forum for debate on issues affecting the Western Hemisphere. AQ staff are full-time employees of AS/COA and must be based in-person at our office in New York, where staff are currently working on a hybrid schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All staff at AS/COA are required to be vaccinated and boosted. Preference will be given to candidates who are legally authorized to begin work immediately in the United States.
Deadline for applications is April 20, 2022. Salary range available upon request.
- Produce the AQ Podcast: Select and contact guests, help host write scripts, perform background research, help edit final product for length and content.
- Audio editing, for both content and sound quality
- Commission, edit and publish English-language articles for AQ by authors throughout Latin America
- Research on graphics, articles and other packages
- Write and produce occasional articles under own byline for AQ
Skills and qualifications include
- One year or more of relevant experience in journalism or other profession(s) with strong, demonstrated ability as editor and writer
- Technical knowledge and experience with audio editing platforms
- Broad knowledge of Latin American politics, economics and culture
- Strong written and spoken English required; strong verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred.
- Ability to work well in a self-starting, team-focused environment
- Ability and willingness for domestic and international travel
Compensation: AS/COA offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, as well as outstanding benefits including an excellent health and dental plan, vacation, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan.
Americas Society/Council of the Americas is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
Application process: Please submit cover letter, resume, and a writing sample in English to email@example.com by April 20. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted