Americas Quarterly is seeking an experienced journalist and proven manager with a deep knowledge of Latin American politics to serve as our next managing editor. Based in New York, this person will be responsible for day-to-day management of the publication, working closely with Editor-in-Chief Brian Winter and our 8-person team to publish political analysis, commentary and original reporting on AQ’s website, podcast, and print magazine. The ideal candidate will be 1) A skilled editor of English-language copy 2) A highly organized manager and 3) An ambitious entrepreneur who will understand the appeal, and great fun, of helping run a small publication that punches well above its weight.
Americas Quarterly is an award-winning publication dedicated to politics, business and culture in the Americas. Borrowing elements from The Economist and Foreign Affairs, but with a focus on Latin America and the Caribbean, AQ reaches more than 1 million people per year through its various platforms. AQ is an editorially independent publication of Americas Society/Council of the Americas (AS/COA), sister not-for-profit organizations providing the most trusted forum for debate on issues affecting the Western Hemisphere. AQ staff are full-time employees of AS/COA and must be based in-person at our office in New York, where staff are currently working on a hybrid schedule.
Deadline for applications is June 13, 2023.
- Overseeing all day-to-day aspects of producing AQ
- Working with the editor-in-chief to establish AQ’s editorial priorities and cultivate a network of contributing authors
- Generating ideas and themes for digital columns and special reports
- Helping manage relationships with foundations, donors and other constituents
- Managing an 8-person team
- Representing AQ at conferences, media interviews and other public-facing events
- Working with other areas of AS/COA to ensure effective communication
- Producing a high-quality quarterly print magazine
- Helping the editor-in-chief identify revenue opportunities to sustain AQ
Skills and qualifications include:
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in journalism
- A deep knowledge of Latin America’s politics, economies and culture
- Proven management experience
- Ability to edit and compose fluent English-language copy
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Ability and willingness for domestic and international travel
Compensation: AS/COA offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, as well as outstanding benefits including an excellent health and dental plan, vacation, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan. AS/COA is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
AS/COA staff are currently working a hybrid schedule, with three days spent in the office and two days remotely. All staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Staff may need to come in more than three days a week when the workflow necessitates it.
Salary range for this position is $110k-$130k.
To apply: Please e-mail Brian Winter at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “AQ Managing Editor,” and include CV, cover letter and relevant examples of journalistic work (no more than five articles please). No phone calls please. Note that only those candidates who are considered for an interview will be contacted.