Americas Society (AS) is the premier forum dedicated to education, debate, and dialogue in the Americas. Established by David Rockefeller in 1965, our mission is to foster an understating of the contemporary political, social, and economic issues confronting Latin America, the Caribbean and Canada, and to increase public awareness and appreciation of the diverse cultural heritage of the Americas and the importance of the inter-American relationship.
Americas Society seeks an experienced manager of institutional grants engagement to conduct prospect research, create, write, and track grant proposals to secure contributed support, and prepare reports on funding for:
- Americas Society’s cultural programs in music and visual arts.
- Americas Quarterly, the organization’s publication dedicated to politics, business, and culture in the Americas.
The ideal candidate will have relevant development experience in researching prospects and writing successful grant proposals and reports to foundations, a demonstrated interest in the mission and goals of the organization, and an ability to meet deadlines. The successful candidate will be a self-starter, an excellent writer, as well as a team player.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage the portfolio of grants and sponsorships made to Americas Society by institutional donors (government agencies, private and corporate foundations) to support the culture programs in music and visual arts and Americas Quarterly.
- Prospect for new potential institutional funders (foundations) to support our programs.
- Coordinate with program directors to understand funding needs and timelines, and define a strategy to fully fund each program.
- Serve as an intermediary within the organization among program directors, accounting, and media relations throughout the grant cycle.
- Write letters of inquiry, grant applications, interim and final reports, acknowledgement letters, and all other documents related to the grant cycle.
- Manage the relationship with existing grantors to maximize repeat donations. Inform them of current and future projects, invite them to visit our gallery and attend our programs, etc.
- Provide all documents to accounting to process payments (invoices, letters of acknowledgement, etc.) and update the information in Fonteva.
- Ensure that the organization complies with terms of funding agreements and grants, ensuring that donors are properly credited in all communications (press releases, website, evites, annual report) and that they receive the corresponding invitations.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Provide administrative support for the management of the Arts of the Americas Circle.
- Produce and send invoices to patrons.
- Coordinate with accounting to process payments and acknowledgement letters.
- Monitor the AS membership program.
- Respond to inquiries received by phone, email, or at the door.
- Process checks or cash payments with accounting.
- Connect with members to ensure they enjoy their membership benefits, such as invitations, publications, etc.
- Create the list of grants and contributions to Americas Society for inclusion in the annual report.
- Collaborate on special initiatives.
- Collaborate/organize public programs in collaboration with program directors.
Skills and qualifications include:
- Relevant development experience required.
- Excellent writing, analytical and inter-personal communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional organization skills, initiative, energy, and enthusiasm.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office programs, knowledge of Fonteva/Salesforce a plus.
- Spanish and/or Portuguese language proficiency a plus.
- Knowledge of the cultural and political context of Latin America and the Caribbean a plus.
Americas Society has a working hybrid schedule, with three days spent in the office and two days remotely. All staff are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19. AS offers outstanding benefits including an excellent health and dental plan, vacation, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan.