Americas Society/Council of the Americas (AS/COA) seeks a current undergraduate or graduate student, recent graduate, or freelancer for an internship working with the content of its website, as-coa.org, as well as providing support with social media and multimedia content. The mission of as-coa.org is to serve as a forum for information related to the Americas, as well as to share news about AS/COA programs, publications, and events with members and the general public. This internship requires strong writing and copyediting skills, and interest in or experience with online media. Intern assignments can include, but are not limited to: authoring social media, editing audio or video content, researching and copyediting, photo research and editing, posting content to the website, and assisting with website updates and administrative tasks.
This is a paid internship. The internship begins in September 2021. It requires a commitment of 20 hours a week.
Key areas of focus
- Supporting social media efforts for content, event promotion, live events, and post-production materials.
- Copyediting and factchecking content across the website.
- Posting and/or editing videos or podcasts and other multimedia content.
- Assisting with updating and posting content for the site. This includes writing updates and explainers, contributing to infographics, and supporting production of other content on news affecting the Americas.
- Helping with regular administrative tasks.
- Working in conjunction with the webteam to build on and implement digital strategy in order to promote the programs and publications of AS/COA.
The candidate should be able to balance multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment under deadline pressure. Skills and qualifications include:
- Excellent English-language writing skills with a working knowledge of Spanish and/or Portuguese. Knowledge of Latin America highly preferred.
- Experience in the field of digital media, journalism, multimedia, social media, or publishing. Knowledge of audio and/or video editing, as well as of Adobe Creative Suite, preferred.
- Copyediting and factchecking skills a plus.
- Proficiency and experience working with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc.) and their use as marketing tools.
- Experience with updating web content using a content management system preferred.
Please email cover letter, resume, and at least one brief (1–2 pages) English-language writing sample to Holly Sonneland at firstname.lastname@example.org. Published clips—whether via links, PDFs, or some type of online portfolio—are welcome. No phone calls please.
Our employees are currently working remotely due to the pandemic. We expect to return to our office at 680 Park Avenue in September. All staff at Americas Society will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 upon returning to the office.
Americas Society/Council of the Americas is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
Americas Society (AS) is the premier forum dedicated to education, debate, and dialogue in the Americas. Its mission is to foster an understanding of the contemporary political, social, and economic issues confronting Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada, and to increase public awareness and appreciation of the diverse cultural heritage of the Americas and the importance of the inter-American relationship.
Council of the Americas (COA) is the premier international business organization whose members share a common commitment to economic and social development, open markets, the rule of law, and democracy throughout the Western Hemisphere. The Council's membership consists of leading international companies representing a broad spectrum of sectors, including banking and finance, consulting services, consumer products, energy and mining, manufacturing, media, technology, and transportation.