Americas Quarterly (AQ), an award-winning publication about Latin American politics, economics, and culture, is looking for a multitalented and highly organized editor to work from our office in New York. This is a true “all-rounder” position on our small team, with a mix of editorial and administrative responsibilities. This person will primarily commission and edit articles for AQ’s website by authors throughout Latin America, which requires someone who knows the region well, has good interpersonal skills, and is great (native-level) with English-language copy. This person will also, among other tasks, oversee the production process of AQ’s print magazine, which requires a truly disciplined multitasker. Overall, it’s a rewarding and fun job for a journalist or policy expert who will enthusiastically embrace a range of responsibilities and has a passion for all aspects of Latin America.
AQ is an editorially independent publication of Americas Society/Council of the Americas (AS/COA), sister not-for-profit organizations providing the most trusted forum for debate on issues affecting the Western Hemisphere. AQ staff are full-time employees of AS/COA and must be based in-person at our office in New York. Deadline for applications is July 30.
- Commission, edit, and publish English-language articles for AQ by authors throughout Latin America
- Oversee complex, weeks-long production process of AQ’s print magazine
- Write and produce occasional articles under own byline for AQ
- Help organize virtual and in-person AQ events in New York and around the Americas
- This position may be asked to assist with other tasks including writing grant applications, helping produce AQ’s social media content, coordinating work with other areas of AS/COA, and more
Skills and qualifications include:
- Three years or more of relevant experience in journalism or other profession(s) with strong, demonstrated ability as editor and writer
- Ability to multitask while staying organized an absolute must
- Strong knowledge of Latin American politics, economics, and culture
- Native-level proficiency in English required; strong verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred.
- Ability to work well in a self-starting, team-focused environment
- Ability and willingness for domestic and international travel
Compensation: Americas Society/Council of the Americas is an equal-opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, as well as outstanding benefits including an excellent health and dental plan, vacation, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
Application process: Please submit cover letter, resume, and a writing sample in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 30. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.
Our employees are currently working remotely due to the pandemic. We expect to return to our office at 680 Park Avenue in September. All staff at Americas Society will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 upon returning to the office.
Americas Society (AS) is the premier forum dedicated to education, debate, and dialogue in the Americas. Its mission is to foster an understanding of the contemporary political, social, and economic issues confronting Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada, and to increase public awareness and appreciation of the diverse cultural heritage of the Americas and the importance of the inter-American relationship.
Council of the Americas (COA) is the premier international business organization whose members share a common commitment to economic and social development, open markets, the rule of law, and democracy throughout the Western Hemisphere. The Council's membership consists of leading international companies representing a broad spectrum of sectors, including banking and finance, consulting services, consumer products, energy and mining, manufacturing, media, technology, and transportation.