Americas Quarterly (AQ), an award-winning publication about Latin American politics, economics, and culture, is looking for a versatile and creative editor to work from our office in New York. We need a true “copy wizard” and “ideas machine” who knows Latin America well, to help our authors around the region produce insightful English-language opinion columns and analyses for AQ’s audience of professionals in business and civil society. This position may also be asked to help produce the AQ Podcast, which has a large and growing audience. Overall, it’s a rewarding and fun job for a journalist or policy expert who will enthusiastically embrace a range of responsibilities.
AQ is an editorially independent publication of Americas Society/Council of the Americas (AS/COA), sister not-for-profit organizations providing the most trusted forum for debate on issues affecting the Western Hemisphere. AQ staff are full-time employees of AS/COA and must be based in-person at our office in New York, where staff are currently working on a hybrid schedule due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All staff at AS/COA are required to be vaccinated and boosted. Preference will be given to candidates who are legally authorized to begin work immediately in the United States.
Deadline for applications is January 14, 2022.
- Commission, edit, and publish English-language articles for AQ by authors throughout Latin America
- Research on graphics, articles, and other packages
- Write and produce occasional articles under own byline for AQ
- Possible involvement in producing and/or editing the AQ Podcast
Skills and qualifications include
- Three years or more of relevant experience in journalism or other profession(s) with strong, demonstrated ability as editor and writer
- Ability to multitask while staying organized an absolute must
- Strong knowledge of Latin American politics, economics, and culture
- Fluent written and spoken English required; strong verbal and written communication skills in Spanish and/or Portuguese preferred
- Ability to work well in a self-starting, team-focused environment
- Ability and willingness for domestic and international travel
Compensation: AS/COA offers competitive compensation commensurate with experience, as well as outstanding benefits including an excellent health and dental plan, vacation, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan.
Americas Society/Council of the Americas is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
Application process: Please submit cover letter, resume, and a writing sample in English to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 14. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.
Americas Society (AS) is the premier forum dedicated to education, debate, and dialogue in the Americas. Its mission is to foster an understanding of the contemporary political, social, and economic issues confronting Latin America, the Caribbean, and Canada, and to increase public awareness and appreciation of the diverse cultural heritage of the Americas and the importance of the inter-American relationship.
Council of the Americas (COA) is the premier international business organization whose members share a common commitment to economic and social development, open markets, the rule of law, and democracy throughout the Western Hemisphere. The Council's membership consists of leading international companies representing a broad spectrum of sectors, including banking and finance, consulting services, consumer products, energy and mining, manufacturing, media, technology, and transportation.