Americas Society and Council of the Americas (AS/COA) are sister organizations providing the most trusted forum for debate on issues affecting the Western Hemisphere. Headquartered in New York City and with offices in Washington and Miami, AS/COA holds high-level events across the United States and Latin America and is the publisher of Americas Quarterly, the leading publication dedicated to politics, business, and culture in the Americas.
The Communications Associate supports the Media Relations Director in the design and implementation of a media strategy to expand engagement and influence of the organizations’ experts, policy and cultural programming, and publications. The position start date is estimated to be by September 2023 or sooner. This role is based in our New York City headquarters.
- Support all components of a proactive media strategy, from identifying opportunities to drafting media pitches, placing stories, and monitoring.
- Draft communications materials including press releases, media advisories, and e-newsletters, and handle email distribution.
- Create and maintain accurate and up-to-date press lists and contacts, including social media influencers and reporters/editors.
- Curate and publish content including press releases, media articles, and video in the AS/COA Online newsroom.
- Track media coverage and produce news-monitoring reports. Manage relationship and monitor performance of PR software services provider.
- Field media requests and respond to reporters’ inquiries. Assist with press during AS/COA events and press events such as press previews and press conferences.
- Design communications materials, marketing materials, or media outreach materials in line with branding guidelines.
- Help design and implement strategies to expand social media audience and engagement.
- Assume administrative tasks and other related duties as required.
Qualifications and attributes
The candidate is expected to be a self-starter who works with minimal supervision, manages own time effectively, maintains control over all current projects, and follows up on all relevant issues. Must be detail-oriented, creative, and able to multitask.
Skills and qualifications include:
- At least 2-3 years of experience in public relations, media relations, or communications, with a degree in one of these fields preferred. Marketing and advertising knowledge is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team.
- Exceptional English-language writing skills. Strong written and spoken Spanish. Knowledge of Portuguese a plus.
- A strong interest in and understanding of Latin America and international affairs.
- Knowledge of design and image-editing tools such as Adobe Creative Suite and Canva.
- Experience in managing social media platforms, expanding social media audiences and influence, updating websites and email tools such as Mailchimp.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule that includes occasional early morning or evening commitments.
This is a full-time position. Employees are currently working a hybrid schedule each week.
The salary range for this position is $60,000–$64,000. In addition, Americas Society offers outstanding benefits including an excellent health and dental plan, vacation, and a generous 401(k) retirement plan.
Qualified candidates must be eligible to work in the United States to be considered.
Americas Society is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or citizenship status.
Please email cover letter, resume, and at least one brief English-language writing sample to Media Relations Director Claudia Torrens at email@example.com. Work and writing samples—whether via links, PDFs, or some type of online portfolio—are welcome. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected to interview will be contacted.