In collaboration with:
Enacted in 1994, the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) has created the world’s largest free-trade area of 450 million people. By 2015, trade among the three members—Canada, Mexico and the United States—increased to $1.14 trillion from $297 billion in 1993, accounting for a boost in economic growth, foreign direct investment, and job creation in all three countries. At the same time, NAFTA has been subject to strong criticism in the United States, with some blaming the accord for manufacturing job loss, dislocation, and rising income inequality.
In anticipation of a potential NAFTA renegotiation, our program will bring together experts in these areas to discuss the terms and impact of the trade accord. What fate lies ahead for NAFTA? What improvements to the pact might U.S. President Donald Trump seek? What impact would NAFTA renegotiations have on Asian companies and governments? What might Mexico and Canada want to change? What impact will this have on economic integration, regional supply chains, and different sectors of our economy?
Americas Society/Council of the Americas and the Asia Society Policy Institute will hold a timely program on the integrated nature of the three North American economies and what might come next.
- Wendy Cutler, Vice President, Asia Society Policy Institute
- Audrae Erickson, Vice President, External Affairs and Corporate Communications, Mead Johnson Nutrition
- Eric Farnsworth, Vice President, Americas Society/Council of the Americas
- Gilles Gauthier, Economic Affairs Minister, Embassy of Canada
- Warren Maruyama, Partner, Hogan Lovells; Former General Counsel, Office of the U.S. Trade Representative
- Charles Roh, Former U.S. Deputy Chief Negotiator for NAFTA
- Amgad Shehata, Vice President, Strategic Development, Latin America, UPS
- Kenneth Smith Ramos, Director, Trade & NAFTA Office, Embassy of Mexico
- Veso Sobot, Director, Corporate Affairs, IPEX
To register: Email us at email@example.com
RSVP no later than 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 15.
February 21, 2017
Watch an expert conversation on the integrated nature of the three NAFTA economies and what might come next with a possible renegotiation of the trade agreement....
February 21, 2017
Trade, supply chain, and agribusiness experts discussed what a renegotiated NAFTA might look like....