Young artist programs frequently bridge the gap between conservatory training and the stage. The Teatro Colón, which has been for over a century at the apex of high art — from the symphony to ballet to opera — in Latin America, welcomes singers from across the region into a rigorous course of acting, vocal coaching, staging, and movement. Americas Society has for nearly a decade provided an intimate salon showcase of a selection of these voices each fall, following a competition held by Alejandro Cordero. Such performances are part of Teatro Colón's commitment to incubating new artistry, from the practice room to the concert stage, and Americas Society gives New York audiences a glimpse into their budding careers.
View photos from these intimate performances:
News from the stage
Baritone Gustavo Feulién will star as Marcello in La bohème this fall with Wichita Grand Opera. Bel canto tenor Santiago Ballerini (2012) and baritone Alejandro Spies (2013) recently starred in Teatro Colón's production of Die soldaten, and Spies headlined both the world and US premiere productions of Hercules en el Mato Grosso, produced by the Centro de Experimentación del Teatro Colón (learn more). Ballerini will cover two tenor roles at the Metropolitan Opera in the 2016-2017 season, in Barber of Seville and Don Giovanni. Also this fall, baritone Fabián Veloz stars in the title role of Verdi's Macbeth at Teatro Colón (learn more).
Over the last five years, soprano Laura Delogu (2011) has expanded her repertory into classics of the Baroque (Handel, Bach) into Romantic art song: this month, she performs a cycle of lieder connecting European art song with the traditions of Río de la Plata at Centro Cultural Kirchner.
Watch highlights from the concerts:
Monteverdi's 'Pur ti miro' from L'incoronazione di Poppea, with Lucas Villalba, countertenor, and Laura Delogu, soprano (2011).
Alejandro Spies performs Carlos López Buchardo's classic 'Canción del carretero'
ISATC Performers 2007–2015
- 2007: Rocío Arbizu soprano; Soledad Espona soprano; Carlos D'Onofrio tenor; Gustavo Fuelién baritone
- 2008: Marina Silva soprano; Florencia Machado mezzo soprano; Duilio Smiriglia tenor; Fabián Veloz baritone
- 2009: Malena Justo soprano; Lídice Robinson mezzo soprano; Reinaldo Samaniego tenor; Sebastián Sorarraín baritone; Luciano Straguzzi bass
- 2010: Oriana Favoro soprano; Verónica Julio soprano; Sebastián Angulegu, baritone
- 2011: Laura Delogu soprano; Laura Sangiorgio soprano; Lucas Villalba countertenor; Cristian Maldonado baritone
- 2012: Rocío Giordano soprano; Claudia Casasco contralto; Santiago Ballerini tenor
- 2013: Natalia Quiroga soprano; Verónica Cano mezzo soprano; Gastón Oliveira Weckesser tenor; Alejandro Spies baritone
- 2014: Monserrat Maldonado, soprano; María Luisa Merino Ronda, mezzo soprano; Maximiliano Agatiello, tenor; Hernán Vuga, baritone; Mariano Gladic, bass-baritone
- 2015: Constanza Díaz Falú, soprano; Nicolás Romero, tenor; Gustavo Vita, bass